Thursday, August 13, 2015

Japanese Summer Fiesta Bon Odori 2015 | Amazing Cebu


             Bon Odori or simply Bon Dance is a style of dancing performed during Obon. Originally a Nenbutsu folk dance to welcome the spirits of the dead, the style of celebration varies in many aspects from region to region. It’s a traditional summer festival in which Japanese honor their ancestors who have passed on, remember and appreciate all they have done for them, and celebrate their ongoing presence in the lives they enjoy today.

             I’d always wanted to check and experience Bon Odori personally even before the event was brought here in Cebu but there are so many things that hinder me on attending the first ever Bon Odori in Cebu last 2014. Who would not get excited attending an event having a purpose of deepening a friendship between Japan and Philippines, that would be just amazing for me. I’m so thankful that my new found friend Ivan invited me along with Kris, Donn and Dennis to go with them and enjoy Bon Odori 2015.

             But before giving you some details about this year’s Bon Odori, let me recap a little bit on what happened last year. Last August 8 and 9, 2014 Bon Odori 2014 was held at the Aboitiz Football Field having Japanese Culture Exchange Committee as the organizers. And more or less than 11,000 people participated the contest and double of that number were present and enjoying every activity. There were 110 Stalls occupying the field that showcased their products. The activities were Bon Odori Dance, Sinulog Dance, Portable Shrine, Yukata Contest, Karate Demonstration, Beans and Candy Shower, Cosplay Contest, Fireworks, Mochi Pounding and many more. Now enough with Bon Odori 2014, let’s get on Bon Odori 2015.

             This year’s Bon Odori 2015 was held last August 7 and 8, 2015 having D’ Family Park Talamban Cebu City as the venue. The activities were Sinulog Dance, Portable Shrine, Candy Shower, Bon Odori Dance, Karate, Mochi Making, Yukata Contest, Karaoke Contest, Cosplay Contest, Fireworks and Raffles. As I was approaching the venue, I can already sense the liveliness of the people celebrating the festival outside the gate and that makes me even more excited to witness the festival. People were wearing Japanese dresses (Yukata and Kimono) and cosplaying, eating, dancing, selling on the booths and other activities were all over the ground. There’s one activity that I love to witness, fireworks!!! I’m this very much obsess with colourful and sparkling lights and yes, Christmas lights are one of them. I even got sad when the very heavy rain fall that night and yes, I got wet but not that much because of the three handsome gentlemen I’m with. Good thing the heavy rain doesn’t last long, and just after it was gone the fireworks pushed thru. Guess I’m blessed enough to experience this kind of tradition and hopefully witness it again in Japan.


             The event was a really big success because many people enjoyed it. And by next year, on the coming Bon Odori 2016, let’s relive and captivate the moment as we will be celebrating again the Summer Festival here in Cebu in a Japanese Traditional Way. So don’t you miss it because I’m sure you’ll never regret it... ^_~ #WWRshares

No comments:

Facebook Comments by World with Rhecel

Post a Comment